Nearly 70% of smokers already want to stop smoking, so it makes sense to refer your patients to their Stop Smoking Wales.
Research shows that smokers both want and trust advice from healthcare professionals like you – you’re much more important in this process than you might think. With your help many smokers won’t just quit, they’ll quit for good.
In fact, offering brief stop smoking advice is the single most cost effective and clinically proven action a healthcare professional can take. Smokers are up to four times more likely to succeed with NHS support than using willpower alone. So you can make a real difference. In just 30 seconds you can help a patient realise that stopping smoking is the best thing they can do for their health – and that free treatment and support is available.
Brief Intervention Training
Brief intervention is a method of discussing smoking and quitting in a positive, non-confrontational way to encourage smokers to think about giving up and enable them to access specialist support when they are ready.
This training is suitable for all health and community workers who come into contact with smokers on a regular basis.
The training covers:
- Smoking-related issues and concerns, prevalence, recent changes to the law, the health risks of smoking and the benefits of quitting
- Understanding why people smoke and why it can be difficult to quit
- Recognising when a person may be ready to quit
- Developing practical skills to make effective brief interventions
- How to refer to Stop Smoking Wales and what the service offers
The training has been developed by Stop Smoking Wales practitioners and is accredited through the Royal College of Nursing and Agored Cymru (formerly Open College Network Cymru). The course is delivered through the medium of English.
- Tobacco and Health in Wales June 2012 (2 MB) 19/10/2012
- NHS e-Learning Package: Brief Intervention for Smoking Cessation (63 KB) 10/01/2012
- Are you serious about stopping smoking? (311 KB) 12/12/2011
- Guidance on standards for training in smoking cessation practice in Wales (1 MB) 07/12/2011
- Quit Smoking - You Can Do It (External document) 07/12/2011
- What Can Help Me Quit Smoking? (External document) 07/12/2011
- Women and Smoking (External document) 07/12/2011
- So You Want a Smokefree Life (External document) 07/12/2011
- So You Want to Quit (External document) 07/12/2011
- Secondhand Smoke What Is It and What Can You Do About It ? (External document) 07/12/2011