Many people believe that smoking helps them cope with stress - this is often a problem when it comes to stopping smoking. The only reason smoking makes us feel more relaxed is because it gives short-term relief from cravings. Stress and anxiety soon return, often stronger than before, making you want to smoke another cigarette. Research has found that stopping smoking actually lowers stress levels, so for real stress relief - stop smoking!
- Think Positively. It does help to feel good about yourself, after all, you have done one of the best things that you can do - you have stopped smoking. You will feel better, be healthier and have more money to spend
- Take care of yourself. Try to eat well and get enough sleep and physical activity
- Get moving. Research shows that regular activity improves your mood and calms you down
- Take one day at a time. Do not overload yourself by setting unrealistic goals
- Have some fun. Make time each day to do something you enjoy
Maybe you have some of your own helpful tips - if so, let us know!
Call our free helpline on 0800 085 2219 to speak to one of our friendly team members and find out about your nearest session.